The Scrum Master
- Maintain eye contact as you talk to a person. Watch their body language as you interact with them.
- The person you are talking to is the most important person in the world at that time.
- Pocket the phone when you talk. Do not check emails or answer a call unless it is an emergency. If you must take a call excuse yourself with a statement like “I am sorry, this is my daughter, it may be an emergency”.
- Re-state what the person said so you can validate your understanding of the conversation.
- Write down the person’s name if you are new to a team, it will help you remember them in the future.
- Ask a very simple, non-confrontational question focused on outcomes or daily experience.
- Shut up, for a while.
- Start connecting the dots backward to choices.
How did your last release go?
For the Un Healthy answer we Came up with:
The release was late, someone died and our company’s stock price went down.
For the healthy answer we came up with:
We released more than planned on time, the product won an award and we became rich because of our stock options.
We then worked on the conditions for each of our answers. This light hearted approach was fun and a method to uncover creative answers. I plan to use this on some of my future projects.
I was very happy with the outcome of the conference. I would recommend it to every agile practitioner.
Vendor / Content
- Visual AGILExicon – This was developed by Ken Rubin who wrote a very popular book and has trained thousands of people. This AGILExicon Visual Agile Lexicon is a set of re-useable graphically rich diagrams that cover the concepts of Scrum. It is available to all for free to use.
- Axosoft - Axosoft is a vendor who sells a suite of agile tools. The bug tracker tool is available for $1 per year for teams of any size.
- Cisco Products - This is a set of high end tele-presence products for geographically separate teams.
- Sococo Products - virtual office software for geographically separate teams. Virtual offices, chat and meeting rooms keep teams together.
Books / Articles
- The Power of Presence
- Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
- The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
- The Skilled Facilitator: A Comprehensive Resource for Consultants, Facilitators, Managers, Trainers, and Coaches
- Your Client Isn't Your Product Owner
- Lean UX: Getting Out Of The Deliverables Business
- Lean UX Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience